Saturday, December 10, 2011

Christmas Thoughts

What is Christmas? What is it to you? The answer may be messier than you think.. maybe. This is something I have pondered annually for several rotations around the sun. Most recently I was called to reflection after the President of the LDS church, Thomas S. Monsen admonished reflection on how we are observing Christmas. Have we sufficiently honored the Reason for the Season. So what is Christmas for me?...is it what I want it to be? Is it what it should be?

Here are my Christmas facts as I see them:
1. There is NO DOUBT that the very idea of Christmas evokes within me deep and powerfully positive feelings. Its warm, safe, and very REAL to me.
2. These powerful experiences are not uncommonly associated with stories, images, or music related to the savior (predominantly Nativity related).
3. Admittedly more frequently, and sometimes more powerfully, these feelings are associated with less Christ-"centered" things: A 1984 Christmas tree, singing Christmas songs with family, walking home from sledding adventures in a snowy wonderland, Temple Square, the anxiety of Christmas Eve, Charlie Brown's Christmas, California Raisins Christmas, etc.
4. I don't state, without serious consideration, the fact that I feel I have long been able to see right through the "Marketers" Christmas. I have never found anything moving or particularly powerful about this element of Christmas.

So whats this all about Jake.. is there some sort of problem? Well, maybe not, and even if there is, its probably just one of those occasional healthy 're-calibration" moments. I was just really struck with President Monsen's thought. The specific words even escape me at the moment. I think it was because he suggested a form of Christmas celebration that could be improved upon... and it sounded really familiar... So it caused me to reflect on this powerful and very REAL force in my life which is Christmas. Where does the Holy Ghost stop, and the Christmas "Spirit" begin? Are they the same?

Maybe this is confusing... lets take another angle. What would Christmas be like with no (or a soured) association to the 1984 Christmas tree, singing songs with family, hot cocoa after building snowmen in the backyard, California Raisins, etc. What would be left? My testimony of the divine birth, life and death of the savior. But would it be the same? Would it come close? What if it didn't. What if, like Ebeneezer Scrooge I went to bed and had the vision of losing all of these things... would I awake and feel the pressing need to re-wire my Christmas feelings?

Although the question continues (and will likely continue) to occupy my brain at this season, I must say that it is my initial (and anxiety appeasing) notion that any sensation as pure and positive as those associated with Christmas for me, have to be of divine origin. Why can't the Holy Ghost occupy a tender (albeit completely secular) melody in Tchaikovsky's Nutcracker? Joy to the World the Lord is come. My "Spirit" of Christmas has no malice, is centered on goodwill toward man, and in its way is the embodiment of the truest forms of JOY.

I absolutely take President Monsen's words to heart. Let us always keep close tabs on our observation of this sacred season. Let us find every opportunity to reflect on Christs miraculous birth and life, and ponder what force for positive change it can have in our lives. Lets make it the CENTER of our Christmas observance always. But, lets not forget his gifts of warm hot chocolate, places to gather and faces to gather with, tradition, brotherly kindness and pure JOY. Maybe these are simply what pour out of a Christ-centered Christmas. God bless us every one!

---All that said, I still feel no guilt for having absolutely zero emotional response to the final scenes of the movie Elf. "You better watch out, you better not cry..." Sorry... nothin... Now the closing scene of Luke II...."Let earth.. receive .. her King..." There it is.. Santa is a good concept, but its hard to beat the real deal:)

Merry Christmas!

4 comments:

Lauren H. said...

Great post Jake. I especially like this line: "any sensation as pure and positive as those associated with Christmas for me, have to be of divine origin." That is exactly how I feel too. To be frank, in this world full of distractions, obligations, and routines, I really need something drastic to happen to make me able to focus on the point of the Christmas season. So, by bringing a beautiful tree into my house, decorating it, making cookies for friends and neighbors, and listening to Christmas music, I ensure that every day during December I am reminded that this is a special time and then think of the reason it's special.

Additionally, every morning when I wake up and turn the lights on my Christmas tree I or hear one of my favorite carols I feel really good. It all puts me in such a good mood that I find myself especially likely to go out of my way to be more Christlike and to serve others. The spirit of Christmas makes me want to spread Christmas cheer everywhere I go, that certainly can't be a bad thing.

Also, even though presents are not the focus of Christmas, I generally plan and plot for months in advance about what I'm going to get/make someone for Christmas, I love thinking about how happy that person will be when I can finally give them their gift. Even the artificial part of Christmas can help us get out of the self-centeredness of everyday and think more about other people.

Rebekah said...

Well said.
There is so much of Joy to be had in life.
I am so grateful for this time to reflect on the birth of our Savior. What an awesome event and gift!
But I am also glad that hearing the song "I'm Mr. White Christmas. I'm Mr Snow . . ." on the radio today made me thrill inside.

Rebekah said...

Well said.
There is so much of Joy to be had in life.
I am so grateful for this time to reflect on the birth of our Savior. What an awesome event and gift!
But I am also glad that hearing the song "I'm Mr. White Christmas. I'm Mr Snow . . ." on the radio today made me thrill inside.

jenifer said...

i love the book called "I believe in Santa". It first tells of Santa (He wears red. His hair is white. He wants us to be good. He brings gifts. etc.) Then, it talks of Christ (He wears red. His hair is white. He knows we are good. He brings gifts. etc.) The last line says, "The symbols of Christmas remind me of Christ and so, I believe in Santa Claus." I love that book because Christmas does remind me of Christ. (I'm David's sister in law... just stalk to see pics of your cute twins every now and then.) Merry Christmas! (Feel free to come visit us in Corvallis sometime if you want a psuedo family!!)