Friday, November 9, 2012

Give Me One Moment in Time....

I couldn't pass up the opportunity to share a quick story of this "family photo shoot." Great picture right? Isn't it wonderful that photographic technology has allowed us to capture these wonderful moments of joy, unity, peace and love within our families? HAAA! Let me explain: This picture is great. NO DOUBT. I love the colors, I love how gorgeous Annie is in the picture, how much it says about Henry and Charlotte, how utterly precious little Caroline is, and I don't even look that awful. It will be a cherished snapshot of this era in our lives. It will, however, take a while to get over the literal point in time that this picture was immersed in. The kids were all smiles and lovely until we needed them to look at the camera and smile. Our children, like many (or at least we tell ourselves "like many") can put the drama and stink attitude on pretty thick. This is not unusual. But the morning of this shoot was a particularly excessive display of their skill (and dedication)in this arena. After being very stressed about the preparation that went in to this, ( as well as the photographers time, missing work, not knowing if we would ever be able to pull this off again), we could seriously only laugh about how insane it got (that may sound like a "Mormon Message moment", you know what I mean: Annie and I stop and gaze over at each other smiling, slightly giggling and shrugging our shoulders with that "I am glad I never REALLY lost my patience" look in our eyes). But the reality of it was nothing that anyone watching television should see (and certainly not anything the Mormon church would want its name on). Anyway, I am seriously UTTERLY shocked that the photographer got this one off. I am sure it represents a literal nanosecond in time when, although desperately, and inexplicably unhappy, Chenry were somehow caught in a moment of what I will call "inter-writhe." It happened fast enough that even my quick and agile mind:) was unable to register it at all. Annie and I just walked around like mannequins with smiles on our faces desperately hoping that at any given point "inter-writhe" would "intercede" and somehow the camera would catch it. That's seems to have happened. A miracle. It makes all the pain (including falling on my butt with Caroline and Charlotte in arms) worth it (though Caroline may disagree). A tender mercy indeed. I think there is a lesson here. This year as you review the Christmas cards you receive from all of your friends, you know the friends with those well-mannered children, lets not forget that this one nanosecond may very well represent a moment of "inter-writhe" that was immersed in chaos, devastation, heartache, pain and suffering. Our lives are generally good right? Our photos will remind us of this, of the magical moments. But lets own the fact that the "magic" of family photo shoots is simply that we survive them (when we do at least). Please enjoy this brief moment in the Jacob and Annie Callister family experience, and know that although this specific morning was one I choose to forget, the smiles and glowing faces are a real reflection of a genuinely happy little family.

4 comments:

laura said...

That picture really is fantastic. I think about your family alot when I get overwhelmed with our little family. And I think, how do they do it? They are so good at it. So happy. So good at keeping perspective while they raise three very tiny kiddos. So thanks for helping me feel a little more normal, with your honest and hilarious depiction of what that gorgeous fall morning really was like. So, glad you got a great picture out of it through all the pain:)

Josh said...

Good heavens! That is a great picture, I can only say we have All been there. My kids have been really good about pictures until you actually want a good family picture. Somebody will just not cooperate. And with six children the odds are great that there will be some point where I say something along the lines of " just smile and act happy before I smack you!"

Josh said...

Good heavens! That is a great picture, I can only say we have All been there. My kids have been really good about pictures until you actually want a good family picture. Somebody will just not cooperate. And with six children the odds are great that there will be some point where I say something along the lines of " just smile and act happy before I smack you!"

Deborah and Stephen said...

Great story Jake.. I have only had a slight taste of that. We have tried multiple mini family shoots with reagan to capture here cuteness and we have not succeeded yet. You did capture a sweet picture :)